Lighthouse History – 13 (1901-01-31 to 1901-02-01)

Lighthouse History – 13 (1901-01-31 to 1901-02-01)

 The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: “Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.


Queen City returned from West Coast last night, bringing news of the finding of more wreckage, but scattered and not sufficient to solve the mystery of what vessel it has come from. One piece of wreckage seems to indicate the fate of one of the long missing vessels the ship Andrada. Three or 4 days ago Lighthouse Keeper Daykin reports that he found a piece of teak, apparently the back part of a ship’s boat, in which were cut the letters ANDRADA. This piece of teak, which was picked up by Mr Daykin on Bonilla Point, is evidently from the back of one of the boats off the missing ship. Andrada came into the Columbia about 6 weeks ago from Santa Rosalia in ballast, and took on board Pilot Cordiner, who was known here, intending to cross the bar next morning. That night a gale blew and the vessel was not seen afterwards. It was thought that she had been driven North on the shore of this coast, but a close search made by Queen City disproves this. It is considered more likely that she has turned turtle and been lost at sea. 
Other wreckage was picked up on a small island a mile from Kyuquot. There, a pair of oars, lead colour, about 10′ long, with the letter “H” stamped in each oar, were found. Also a bundle of corn brooms, and lumber of various kinds, the beaches being littered for miles, both there and at various points all along the Island coast. On the shore near Kyuquot, was found more salmon, a number of tins being picked up by Indians 2 weeks ago. There is no clue to identify the vessel from which it came. As for the lumber, it is thought that the many deck loads washed away during the recent storms contributed a great portion of it. 
United States cutter Grant which has started on her cruise of investigation, was seen at Clo-oose, and a number of sealing Schooners were seen on the coast. Arietis and Penelope were at Kyuquot with crews aboard, read, the former with 15 and the latter with 13 canoes: Otto was to be ready in a few days, nearly all her crew being aboard. At Nootka, Schooners Annie E Paint and Beatrice were waiting, the Indians not having made up their minds to go out at the price offered; Ainoka was in the same predicament at Nootka. Triumph, Viva and Florence M Smith were at Ahousett, getting crews on board. Allie I Algar had 4 or 5 canoes at Clayoquot; Libbie and Zilah May had 8 canoes at Ucluelet; Victoria was at Dodger’s Cove, and the Sadie Turpel and Geneva at Village I, and Ida Etta and Teresa were at San Juan, all doing nothing. Ocean Belle was passed in the straits. 
No ore was brought from the Alberni mines by Steamer, but $600 in gold came down from Wreck Bay. Work there has been stopped on account of the high tides. Work has also been stopped at the Dewdney Canadian Syndicate property at Sydney Inlet, and Mr Dewdney came down, bringing the stores from the camp. George Maynard arrived from the Monitor, H E Newton from the Golden Eagle, and several other mining men came down. The passenger list was as follows: J Dalby, E Dewdney, A Engvik, A Watson and wife, R Corter, George Brown, H F Stannard, A Ellis, W M Lawrence, C P Aston, A E Waterhouse, J Vanslyke and wife, T Godman, T Fletcher, W Wannock, O M Ramsay, O C Matheson, G W Grant, E Folwell, H E Newton, G W Maynard, John Goltz. [Colonist, 1901-01-31]

From Carmanah to Quatsino Sound wreckage is being found, but as yet settlers and siwashes who have picked up the flotsam given up by the sea, cannot ascertain from what vessel or vessels – for the wreckage seems to be from more than one craft – it has come. It is by no means certain, according to Lighthouse Keeper Daykin, that the board marked Andrada came from that vessel, for the letters appeared to have been newly cut with a knife, and it might be that some practical joker who survived the fool-killer, has cast it into the sea. The wreckage found at Kyuquot offers nothing but the letter “H” stamped on the oars for identification and this is all too meagre. At Winter Harbour, among considerable wreckage which came ashore there, was a sailor’s chest, in one of the drawers of which was some writing, which might have given a clue to the vessel from which it came, but unfortunately the Indians had been unable to dry the paper sufficiently to preserve the writing. There were besides the paper, some needles and thread in the … drawers of the chest. The front of another chest was also found at Sea Otter Cove, where this wreckage came ashore. It was of mahogany and brass bound. At Reef Point, at the entrance of Winter Harbour, the Indians found 2 rudders and the mast of a whale boat, some match wood boards, painted blue, and others varnished, seemingly from the interior fittings of a sailing ship. On some of the boards were brass fittings, evidently pertaining to a ship’s pantry. Further North, on Top Knot Point, the Indians picked up a large piece of the deck house, which had come ashore intact. A lapstreak boat, new barrels, with galvanized hoops and a new half barrel, were also found but on nothing was there anything to identify it. 
The finding of the salmon with the other wreckage picked up at Kyuquot, adds to the belief that accident had befallen a salmon carrier, and there is no small anxiety for Ardnamurchan, for she is said by the Vancouver Packing Co to have been the only vessel which carried the brands of salmon washed ashore some time ago near Astoria, although there are some shippers who hold that the Vancouver Packing Co’s salmon, sold on the wharf, was shipped on other vessels. One of the labels found amongst the wreckage at Astoria has been received at Vancouver, and a Vancouver correspondent says the salmon shippers assert that it formed part of the cargo of Arduamurchan. 
Queen City will leave for Ahousett and way ports on West Coast to-night, and her officers will make inquiry along the coast to ascertain, if possible, what vessel or vessels have been lost in the storms of past weeks. Included in the missing fleet are Andrada, Otto, Gildermeister, Bertha and several smaller vessels, and since the finding of the salmon, fears have been expressed for Ardnamurchan. 
Letter to Editor – Sir – As a constant reader of everything touching the opening up of this island, it has repeatedly struck me what a hindrance to personal inspection are the high rates charged by West Coast steamers to those anxious to go from place to place to see for themselves the truth or otherwise of the many reports of “finds” published in the papers. There are numbers of men with enough money to keep themselves for a reasonable length of time proving any particular locality, who cannot afford to pay say $10 to Cape Scott, and as much more back again, on the mere chance of meeting any success and yet SS Co cannot be expected to act the philanthropists and lose money in their business, if the present rates are those only at which they can work the system. The provincial Government being anxious to open up the country, would it not promote that end were they to issue passes at reduced rates to all points to everyone on any business whatever proceeding by passenger steamers, rates, say 1/4 of those prevailing the government paying the difference to the company, excepting tourists. 
At first sight this seems rather a big order but no one goes to these almost unknown places whose energies are not in some shape or form conducive to the public benefit in opening up the country. J B M. 31st Jan, 1901. 
Quatsino Mines – The secretary of the Quatsino Mining & Reduction Co, Ltd, Mr H Warner, yesterday received the monthly report from the company’s foreman from which it is learned that a very important strike has been made on the New Comstock claim, one of the properties of the company, on the opposite side of the Creek from the main workings. The new discovery bids fair to rival the great deposits already partially opened. Mr Bergh, the foreman, states that the ore from the new strike is superior to any heretofore opened on the properties. Its extent has not yet been determined only one wall having been encountered at the time of the report. 
The main crosscut tunnel is driven 90′. This tunnel has already crosscut an extensive body of high-grade copper ore and a number of smaller chutes, and it is expected that another ore chute which crops at the surface, will be tapped in the course of a month or 6 weeks. Although the rock is very hard satisfactory progress is made in the tunnel. Mr Bergh strongly urges the early construction of a tramway in order that the company may join the list of regular shippers in the near future. 
On the Superior group adjoining the company’s properties, Mr Murdoch, foreman for Messrs Barnard & Bodwell of this city, with a force of 6 men, is driving a tunnel, which is designed to tap the ledge at a depth of about 300′. 
The weather during the past month has been fine, the snow being all gone except on the highest levels. [Colonist, 1901-02-01]

Published by

Retired (2001) British Columbia lighthouse keeper after 32 years on the lights.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *