The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.
Captain Gaudin, Agent of Marine, has received details from David Logan, lineman at Clo-oose, regarding the wreckage washed ashore near Carmanah as recently reported by wireless despatches. Mr Logan’s report says that among the things found were 12 sacks of flour, 23 tins of coal oil, 2 50-gal barrels of coal oil, a case of bird seed and some broken things. At Ucluelet a bottle was found containing some pieces of paper, it having been thrown from Steamer President in Oct.
Lumber seen floating off the Vancouver Island coast recently was probably from Schooner Yosemite which has arrived at San Francisco and reports having 60,000′ of lumber washed from her decks on Nov 27, when 30 miles from Columbia River. The coal oil found on Vancouver Island coast is supposed to have been part of that included in the cargo of the wrecked Schooner Argo consigned to the Tillamook lighthouse. [Colonist, 1909-12-07]
Steamer Newington, of the Marine Dept’s fleet, is back from West Coast Vancouver Island bringing L Cullison and the party of workmen who have been engaged for some weeks in installing the great lantern on the high octagonal cement tower built by Luke Humber at Estevan Point. Mr Cullison, who has charge of the work of erecting the lanterns of British Columbia’s lighthouses, superintended the establishment of this big 1st order light at Estevan, most powerful of all the coast lights.
For 40 miles at sea this light of Estevan will be visible, and is expected to be of much assistance to mariners making these shores. The tower on which it stands, most solidly built of cement in octagonal form, with great buttresses reinforced with steel, is 100′ high on Estevan Point, and the lantern stands 30′ above the top of the cement tower, being 130′ high. The glass and iron work of the lantern and its frame weighs 25T and the work of installing the great cut glass lenses and frame, each part being hauled to the roof of the tower and assembled in place, was not an easy task.
The lens is of cut glass and was mfg’d by the famous lighthouse lantern mfg’s Chance Brothers of Birmingham. The cost of the lantern alone exceeded $35,000. The workmen who returned state that during the most severe gales the lighthouse tower scarcely vibrates, so solidly has it been constructed. [Colonist, 1910-02-16]
W P Daykin, lighthouse keeper here, received a report from a patrolman of the finding of a man-of-war’s boat [later identified – United States cruiser Washington] which had been washed ashore about 2 � miles West of the lighthouse. Mr Daykin also reports the picking up by Indians of 2 sails and the stern board of another boat, but nothing further to show to whom this belonged. [Colonist, 1910-03-01]
A lecture will be given by Mr J G Brown on West Coast Vancouver Island. Mr Brown is particularly well qualified for this, in view of his experiences in tramping on 2 occasions from Victoria to Cape Beale and from Ucluelet to Clayoquot, possessing a fund of information regarding this wild and rugged coast that cannot fail to interest everyone. Mr Brown has had 112 lantern slides prepared, showing the principal points along the route and some of the industries that are being developed. Views included… Port Renfrew, Carmanah lighthouse, Ucluelet Arm, Long Beach, Wreck Bay, Clayoquot, Toquart, Uchuckleset… [Colonist, 1910-03-26]
Newington has been supplying the lighthouses and wireless telegraph Stations of West Coast Vancouver Island, and encountered squally weather when at Triangle I, landings being made with difficulty. [Colonist, 1910-05-20]
New Lighthouse for Nootka Sound… [Colonist, 1910-09-30, p. 14]