The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers called The British Colonist. Full information can be found here: The British Colonist Online: 1858 – 1910
Below is the first extract from The British Colonist with news other than from Victoria, BC
The department of marine and fisheries under date of November 28  has issued a circular notice to mariners regarding navigation in British Columbia waters. The two new lighthouses – on Point Island and on Dryad Point, Campell island, respectively-are described, together with hydrographic notes affecting the same. Notice is given of an unchartered rock in Methhlacatlah bay and also of the removal and change in color of the Hodgson Reefs’ buoy.
A lighthouse erected by the government on Pointed island, Fittzhugh sound, east entrance to Lama passage, was put in operation on the 5th instant, latitude 52 degrees 3 minutes 48 seconds, longitude west 128 degrees 58 minutes, and 40 seconds. The light is a fixed white light, elevated 42 feet above high water, and should be visible 12 miles over an arc 214 degreesw bewteen the bearings of S. 56 degrees E. (S. 31 degrees E true) through south and west to N. 22 degrees W. (N. 3 degrees E. true). The illuminating apparatus is dioptric of the seventh order.
A lighthouse, erected by the government on the extremity of Dryad point (Turn point) Campbell island, northern entrance of Main passage, Seaforth channel, was put in operation on the 7th instant latitzude north 52 degrees q11 minutes 14 seconds, longitude west 128 degrees 8 minutes and 24 seconds. The light is a fixed white light, elevated 36 feet above high water mark, and should be visible eleven miles over an arc 257 degrees, between the bearings E. 63 degrees E. (S. 37 degrees E. true) through south, west and north to N. 14 degrees E. (N. 40 degrees E. true). The illuminating apparatus is dioptric of the seventh order. The lighthouse is on the point named on the admiralty charts Turn point. In order to dostinguish it from Turn point, Stuart island, on which a lighthouse is already maintained, the geographic board will change its name tp Dryad point, commemorating the name of a brig belonging to the Hudson’s Bay Co., which was engaged in company with the brig “Lama” in 1833, in carrying materials, etc., for the construction of Fort McLaughlin, near the site of the nearby existing village of Bella Bella.
The captain of the D. G. S. Quadra reports, in connection with the establishment of the above lighthouse, that dryad points extends nearly 300 feet east of the shore line shown on admiralty chart No. 2.449; that the islaet shown east of the point is not visible in coming from the westward until the extremity of the point bears southward of S. by E. 1/2 E. There is a small rock, awash at extreme low water, 1q35 feet S. E. by S. from the islet, and another rock, which shows four feet at high water, 200 feet N. N. W. from the lighthouse. The two fathjom patch, shown on the chart N. E. of Song island, does not exist.
A rock, not marked by kelp, with 1 1/2 fathoms water on it, which will be named Cutch rock, has been located by Capt. walbran, of the D. G. S. Quadra, in Metlahcatlah bay, between Alford reefs and Knight island, latitude north 54 degrees 18 minutes 30 seconds, logitude west 130 29 minutes and 15 seconds. Mariners are advised to entzer Metöahcatlah bay by the passage west of Alford reefs and Devestation island, which is well buoyed, in preference to using the eastern channel. Vessels entering, after passing Devestation island should bring the middle of the three singular trees (with all lower branches cut away) on Shrub islet to bear N. E. by E., and keep that course until they bring Straith point in one with the middle of the largest Cridge island, bearing S. S. E. They should then alter their course for the fairway between the beacon north of Shrub island and the buoy on kelp rock.
The buoy maintained on Hodgson reefs, Chatham sound, having broken adrift, has been replaced by a new buoy, which has been moored in 9 1/2 fathoms, northweard and westward of the old position of the buoy, kelp having been seen outside the old location, latitude north 54 degrees 22 jinutes 20 seconds, longitude west 130 degrees 32 minutes and 10 seconds. The extreme westerly edge of Hodgson reefs is 3 1/2 cables ewastward of the buoy, and between the buoy and the refs is a narrow ledge with 5 1/2 fathoms. Outside the buoy the water deepens rapidly to 20 fathoms. From the buoy in its new position the south tangent of Ryan point bears due east (S. 63 dgerees E. true), distant 2 miles 1 3/4 cables, and Dawes point. Tugwell island, bears S. 41 1/2 degrees east (S. 14 1/2 E. true). As the flood tide sets into Chatham sound from the norward through Dixon entrance, Hodgson reefs buoy has been changed in color from red to black, as it is on the port hand going with the main stream of the flood.
All bearings, unless otherwise noted, are magnetic and are given from seaward, miles are nautical miles, heights are above high water, and all the depths at mean low water. Pilots, masters, or others interested are earnestly requested to send information of dangers, changes in aids to navigation. notice of new shoals or channels, errors in publications, or any other facts affecting the navigation of Canadian waters to the chief engineer, department of marine and fisheries, ottawa, Canada. Victoria Daily Colonist Sunday December 17, 1899