Lighthouse History – 47 (1920-05-30 – 1922-09-20)

The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.

 

photograph: Carmanah Point lighthouse, to be rebuilt this year by Marine Dept. The wooden tower shown is the old original one, which has undergone repairs from time to time, and which was 1st put in place over 40 years ago. [Colonist, 1920-05-30, p. 30]

 

Carmanah lighthouse tower will not be rebuilt this year. Calling for tenders was so delayed that the season has become too far advanced for the work to be one. [Colonist, 1920-10-02, p. 8] Continue reading

Lighthouse History – 46 (1919-01-05 to 1920-03-18)

The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.

 

Locked from World on North Island (Kains Island)… Thomas Sadler, lighthousekeeper describes horrors of isolation that left him a broken man – wife is driven to insanity by worry over plight of children…; Jan 7, 7 – Superintendent of Lights states report incorrect… [Colonist, 1919-01-05, p. 2]

 

To Cape Beale lighthouse there was taken a new lightkeeper, and with him went a cow. It so happened that a short distance from the light there was a whistling buoy floating on the water. This aid to navigation is such that air is compressed by the action of the waves and a whistle is thus actuated. The noise of the ingoing air and then the whistle is like a huge and gruesome groan, the note of whistle being like that of a foghorn.  Continue reading

Lighthouse History – 45 (1917-04-27 to 1918-12-08)

The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.

 

Died Apr 26, 1917 at Victoria, British Columbia, Nicholas Bertucci, Resident of here for 55 years, aged 79. native of Lavagna, Italy, he left there in early 1860s and came here by way of Cape Horn. Prior to coming to Victoria, he worked on an American survey ship, and after arriving here worked for 5 years as asst lighthousekeeper at Race Rocks. Later he owned and operated the Ferry Boat House, situated at that time where the E&N Railroad bridge now stands, selling it 1889. He leaves a widow, 7 sons: B G; L; and J, now on active service; N; A, Al; and F all of Victoria. Also 5 daughters: Mrs J Sault, Mrs H Galinger; Miss J, all of Victoria, and Mrs F Arnott, Continue reading

Lighthouse History – 44 (1916-03-26 to 1916-08-25)

The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.

 

photo 4 sons of Fred Marshall Eastwood, who has been the lighthousekeeper at Race Rocks for 25 years. Mr Eastwood has family of 12, the oldest now left at home is only 10. Sons: J W, RCE, 3rd Div; Private E E, Signaller, 103rd Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force; Private J M, 1st Canadian Pioneers; Private R, 88th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force. [Colonist, 1916-03-26, p. 5]

 

Breakwater now showing up well…; May 11, 11 – 25 cribs placed; brkwtr now showing up well…; Jul 2, 16, 17; photos Aug 20, 17 – only 80′ work uncomplete…; Sep 9, 11 – steady progress… Jan 12, 1917 – to have imposing lighthouse… Jan 28, 21 – completion of ocean docks calls for action…; Feb 11, 25 – Parfitt brothers get lighthouse contract [Ogden point breakwater]; Feb 21, 11 – Foghorn needed on new brkwtr; photo Apr 1, 25 -; will add 5,000′ to docking space; Piers nearing completion… [Colonist, 1916-04-08, p. 11] Continue reading

Development of the Canadian Icebreaker

I was writing an article that contained a reference to the CCGS Camsell, a Coast Guard icebreaker, and I got to wondering how many people knew about the history of the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) ice breakers. Thanks to the generosity of the CCG website I have been given permission to reproduce their material here. It is a very interesting story.

The following article is reproduced with the permission of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada, 2012

*******************************

USQUE AD MARE
A History of the Canadian Coast Guard and Marine Services
by Thomas E. Appleton

Development of the Canadian Icebreaker

We have already noted the influence of the Prince Edward Island winter service on the building of passenger vessels able to navigate in ice, ranging from the underpowered and ineffective Northern Light of 1876 to the handsome cruising ship Earl Grey of 1909. The main business of these ships was to maintain communications. While this evolution was unfolding, the problem of flood control on the St. Lawrence demanded attention. From earliest times ice floating down had formed an annual dam between Montreal and Quebec, causing flooding as it built up and further damage to ships when it gave way. In an attempt to control this process by keeping the ice on the move, a requirement now arose for ships whose primary role was to break ice rather than to maintain communications. As a secondary role, which Canadian icebreakers must have to provide an economic year round usage, there was plenty of work to be done in support of aids to navigation.

CCGS N.B. McLean working in the St. Lawrence.

Continue reading

Lighthouse History – 43 – Amphitrite (1914-01-06 to 1915-03-26)

The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.

As I was collecting this information from the newspaper archive website, I noticed that many articles were in consecutive order and applied to Nootka Light, so I collected them all together here. It is a bit long, but interesting, as it describes the building of a lighthouse from the ground up as they say. Take note of the dates at the end of each article. it surely was not done overnight. More extensive information can be obtained from the actual scanned copies of the newspapers themselves on the above website.

******************************

Dominion Government Steamer lighthouse tender Estevan will clear Victoria for Ucluelet, with the lifeboat on board. Yesterday the craft was hoisted aboard and stowed on the foredeck, where it will remain until discharged at Ucluelet, where everything is in readiness for the reception, and with her arrival there will be tried out by the lifesaving crew. 

After discharging the new power boat Estevan will take the lifeboat, at present stationed there, to Clayoquot, and the surf boat now at that point, will be brought South to Clo-oose. Estevan will also establish a gas lighted beacon at Channel Rk, Barkley Sound, to replace the one which broke adrift recently in a Southeast gale. 
While away from Port Estevan will also establish a temporary white light at Amphitrite Point, to mark the point, pending the construction of a new lighthouse. The unattended light at Amphitrite was carried away last week in a gale. [Colonist, 1914-01-06]

 

 Plans for the new lighthouse to be established at Amphitrite Point, Ucluelet Arm, have just been received at the local offices of the Marine Dept. Work on the new structure will be started early in the new year and the contract will be rushed to completion as quickly as the weather will allow. The plans call for a reinforced concrete tower, which, when completed, will be 30′ in height. 
The tower will be surmounted by a 5th order lens, giving an adequate flashing radius for that section of the coast. Lighthouse tender Leebro will be used in transporting the construction materials from Victoria to Amphitrite Point, and it is expected that she will make her 1st trip there after the Xmas holidays. [Colonist, 1914-12-15]

 

Construction materials for the new lighthouse at Amphitrite Point will be taken on Leebro’s next trip North. As soon as possible after the New Year, Leebro, Captain Hunter, laden with cement and other materials that will go towards the construction of the concrete tower, will leave port for Amphitrite Point. It is expected that she will be almost exclusively engaged in transporting material to the site until such time as the structure is completed. 
Dominion Government Steamer Estevan, Captain Barnes, flagship of the fleet, is due to put to sea on Mon next with supplies for West Coast Vancouver Island. She will first proceed to Estevan to carry out some work at West Coast Vancouver Island Stations. [Colonist, 1914-12-30]

 

Within the next 2 weeks the new lighthouse at Amphitrite Point will be blinking its powerful rays seaward to the North of Barkley Sound. 
Lighthouse tender Leebro, Captain Hunter, in port yesterday from West Coast Vancouver Island, brought the news that the lighthouse is in the final stages of completion. 
When Leebro left there the workmen were putting the final touches to the 2nd storey of the lighthouse, and practically everything was in readiness for placing the lantern in position. The structure, which is built of solid concrete, is 2-storeys in height, and will be surmounted by a 5th order light. The construction of the lighthouse has been carried out in a remarkably short space of time. 
Captain Hunter says the recent trip to West Coast Vancouver Island was made under most favorable conditions, there being a total absence of gales, usually frequent at this season. 
Leebro is now loading and will put to sea with the last consignment of supplies for the light on Fri. [Colonist, 1915-02-24]

 

Mariners are officially notified that the new concrete lighthouse, at Amphitrite Point, West Coast Vancouver Island, to replace the former lighthousewhich was washed away during a heavy gale last fall, has been put into operation. [Colonist, 1915-03-26]

Lighthouse History – 42 (1915-02-24 to 1916-01-01)

The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.

******************************

Within the next 2 weeks the new lighthouse at Amphitrite Point will be blinking its powerful rays seaward to the North of Barkley Sound. 
Lighthouse tender Leebro, Captain Hunter, in port yesterday from West Coast Vancouver Island, brought the news that the lighthouse is in the final stages of completion. 
When Leebro left there the workmen were putting the final touches to the 2nd storey of the lighthouse, and practically everything was in readiness for placing the lantern in position. The structure, which is built of solid concrete, is 2-storeys in height, and will be surmounted by a 5th order light. The construction of the lighthouse has been carried out in a remarkably short space of time. 
Captain Hunter says the recent trip to West Coast Vancouver Island was made under most favorable conditions, there being a total absence of gales, usually frequent at this season. 
Leebro is now loading and will put to sea with the last consignment of supplies for the light on Fri. [Colonist, 1915-02-24]

 

new lighthouse for Cape Mudge…; Mar 3, 9… [Colonist, 1915-02-27, p. 10]

 

Mr H J Hillier, telegraph operator at Ucluelet, and Mr C C Binns, members of Ucluelet lifeboat crew, have earned a great reputation as fishermen among natives of West Coast Vancouver Island by reason of the skill displayed in landing a 60 lb salmon from a small boat in a choppy sea, according to information brought here by lighthouse tender Estevan. Although a larger fish is reported to have been caught at Ucluelet, the one handled by Hillier and Binns is declared to be the liveliest that was ever induced to grasp at the business end of a spoon bait. 
It was only after the huge fish, which measured about 4′ 6″, had played itself out by its exertions, that it was hauled aboard through the combined efforts of the 2 men. 
Large schools of salmon are now running on West Coast Vancouver Island. 
Estevan was stormbound for 8 days. [Colonist, 1915-03-24]

 

Mariners are officially notified that the new concrete lighthouse, at Amphitrite Point, West Coast Vancouver Island, to replace the former lighthousewhich was washed away during a heavy gale last fall, has been put into operation. [Colonist, 1915-03-26]

 

Dispatched on an errand of mercy to Estevan Point, for the purpose of bringing to Victoria Mrs Jensen, Wife of lightkeeper at Estevan lighthouse, who is reported seriously ill. DLT Estevan, Captain Barnes, left port yesterday for West Coast Vancouver Island. A message was received yesterday at the local offices of the Marine Department stating that Mrs Jensen, who was recently operated upon in a Victoria hospital, has suffered a relapse, and as the case appeared urgent Estevan was ordered out at once. It is expected to be off Estevan early this morning, and in the event of the weather being calm the patient will be taken aboard and should arrive in port Mon am. Providing the weather is heavy there some difficulty will be experienced in making a landing and the arrival of the ship here may be delayed. Last night it was reported that a Southeast wind was causing a heavy swell off the point. [Colonist, 1915-04-04]

 

Sgt James V Carroll, 7th Battalion, Killed in Action, joined 88th Fusiliers Aug, 1914, aged 28, single. He had served 9 years in RMLI. native of England, left with 1st Canadian Contingent. Prior to coming to Canada he served 9 years as machine-gun Sgt with Royal Marine Light Infantry. Jun 8, 5 – reported Prisoner of War to Mr C Webb, Victoria. Sgt Carrol was formerly a cook on lighthouse tender Estevan and spent several years in Victoria. Aug 4, 5 – Prisoner of War. [Colonist, 1915-05-13, p. 1]

 

John Wright, San Francisco, died at Victoria, British Columbia, Aug 23, 1915, aged 84, native of Killearn, Scotland. He came to Victoria in 1859 to do architectural work along the Coast, being specially employed to design lighthouses. While in Victoria he was in charge of several important contracts, the most notable being the old Methodist church, Pandora/Broad Streets. While a local resident he became identified with 1st Presbyterian church. He left Victoria in 1866 for San Francisco, being accompanied by his partner, Mr F Saunders… [Colonist, 1915-08-25, p. 7]

 

50 years Ago files printed lately refers to an accident that had occurred on Xmas, whereby 5 lives were lost through the upsetting of a boat which was trying to make Race Rocks lighthouse. Mrs George Maynard, daughter of late John Davis, keeper of Race Rock lights, was an eyewitness of that tragedy, having been at the lighthouse at the time. Mrs Maynard clearly remembers having seen some of the occupants of the boat clinging to the bottom of the overturned craft for a long time. There was a lifeboat at the lighthouse, but it was a very unwieldy craft, requiring 18 men to handle it. [Colonist, 1916-01-01, p. 6]

 

 

 

Lighthouse History – 41 (1912-09-05 to 1914-12-30)

The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.

******************************

Dominion Government Steamer Quadra is loading supplies for the lighthouses of West Coast Vancouver Island, and is expected to leave about the end of the week. [Colonist, 1912-09-05]

 

Walbran may command Estevan… came here in 1888 with SS Islander, native of Yorkshire, England, b 1848. Educated at Ripon Grammar and served on British training frigate Conway, served in merchant marine for 11 years, and secured his master’s certificate at age 22. First ship commanded by Walbran was sailing vessel British Consul, bound from Continue reading

Lighthouse History – 40 (1912-04-14 to 1912-07-20)

The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.

******************************

phs/Clayoquot, called after a West Coast tribe of Indians. ‘Cla-o-quaht’ means people different from what they were. (See Walbran). It is situated partly on a peninsula of Vancouver Island and partly on Meares and Stubbs Islands. The white settlement is commonly known as Tofino, though it is registered at the Provincial Land Office as Clayoquot Townsite, and is situated at the Northwest extremity of the peninsula extending about 9 miles Northwest from Long Beach. The Indian village, known as Opitsat is situated on the Southwest shore of Meares I. The hotel, large store, and wharf belonging to Mr Dawley are on Stubbs I, with the Post Office and police stn shown on the Admiralty chart as Clayoquot. 
The common meeting ground of all the settlements is the large sheet of water between them, full of sand banks and channels, with strong tide rips, so that all the inter-communication has to be by boat, making it a miniature Venice. There are many Norwegian seafaring settlers, many of whom form the lifeboat crew at Tofino; besides owning their own houses, they build rowing and motor boats with great success. The only motor boats and pilots to be hired for the work up the many inlets of Clayoquot and Nootka Sounds are at Tofino. The expeditions after timber, minerals, earths, cannery sites and land locating in these sounds are nearly endless, and they have been all transported by these Tofino guides and their motor boats. In fact, Clayoquot is the best place to commence any small expedition to any inlet South of Cape Cook and Quatsino Sound.  Continue reading

Lighthouse History – 39 (1911-11-30 to 1912-04-10)

The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: ”Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.

******************************

Up to the time of going to press this morning no further word had been received regarding the accident to Tees reported to have struck a rock in Kyuquot Sound.


There was much anxiety regarding Tees since early yesterday. Northwestern en route to Seattle from AK, caught a wireless message from Tees. It was brief, stating only: ‘Tees struck rock. Kyuquot Sound.’ The message was transmitted to Estevan and thence to Victoria. United States Steamship Tahoma was at Neah Bay and when Tatoosh heard the news at 4:30am this vessel was notified and proceeded at once to the scene, being due at 11pm at Kyuquot. Mr E J Haughton, Superintendent of the Dominion Wireless Stations, sent a message to tug William Jolliffe of the Fisheries Protection service, which was off Quatsino. C P Edwards of Ottawa, who is on board making a visit of inspection to the coast Stations, has fitted a set of apparatus on the tug and sent a message reporting Jolliffe would reach the scene about 5pm. British Columbia Salvage Co sent the salvage Steamer Salvor with a wrecking crew, and Captain W H Logan, special agent of London Salvage Assn, was a passenger. Salvor is due at Kyuquot this morning. Steamer Newington of lighthouse service, last reported from Clayoquot 2 days ago, has also gone to render assistance.  Continue reading