Documentation pertaining to Gap filler sites has proven to be extremely difficult to locate or obtain. All of the AC&W Squadrons which formed the 64th Air Division (Defense), NEAC, were expected to provide Historical Reports on a quarterly basis. We have not been able to locate any Historical Reports which originated at the Gap Filler Detachments. As a result, we focused our attention to the AC&W Squadron Historical Reports, and in some cases, we were able to find some mention of Gap Filler(s).
The 922nd AC&W Squadron was located at Cartwright, Labrador. This squadron had three Gap Filler Detachments within its overall area of responsibility. One of these units was:
Detachment 1 Cut Throat Island, Labrador N-27A
The following detail pertaining to this Gap Filler site has been extracted from the 922nd AC&W Squadron Historical Reports and provides some detail of interest to the reader.
1 April 1955 30 June 1955
Housing (at Cartwright) has proven to be a large problem during this period. We were required to house the gap filler personnel on their way to remote sites. Because of early arrivals of replacement personnel, there were no rooms available to accommodate these people. Recreation Hall #2 was cleared of its equipment and some twelve double deck beds were constructed out of single frame metal cots.
1 July 1956 30 September 1956
The construction of gap filler sites at Cut Throat and Spotted Islands imposed added work load for the helicopters. Numerous trips have been taken by the Commander and other key personnel to the islands to check on the progress of the construction. Percentage of completion at these two sites are estimated 40% for Cut Throat and 59% for Spotted Island.
1 April 1958 to 30 June 1958
Detachment # 1 became operational during this period. A Motor Pool specialist from this station was placed on TDY to the Detachments to render assistance and establish proper records. Detachment # 1 has been visited.
1 July 1958 to 30 September 1958
Supply functions have been varied for this period, with the shipping season in full swing. The Magga Dan arrived at this detachment in July, supplying dry storage and frozen storage food supplies. The Wang Pioneer also visited with supplies of a general nature. The USNS Chattahootchie supplied the annual bulk fuel supplies.
1 January 1959 to 31 March 1959
Supply ordering, stocking and recording for this detachment was turned over to the unit from the 922nd AC&W Squadron on 15th January. At a preliminary meeting in Cartwright, personnel from this detachment were briefed on supply responsibility and accountability in addition to the difficulties to supply organizations in this area. Although the detachment has been given the supply function, Staff and Command responsibility remains with the 922nd AC&W Squadron.
1 April 1959 to 30 June 1959
Change of command at the detachment during the period consisted of Captain Jenne was relieved of command of Detachment # 1 by Captain Hoerl on the 12th of June when Captain Jennes replacement returned to the ZI because of an emergency in the family. The 0A-97 remoting equipment has been put in place, both at this detachment, and at the 922nd AC&W Squadron at Cartwright. This equipment consists of consoles which present PPI presentations in Cartwright, of air traffic which originates on our AN/FPS-14 search radar. The input is carried on existing Baby Pole Vault channels.
1 July 1959 to 30 September 1959
Change of command at the detachment included Captain Norbert A Hoerl was relieved by Captain Richard L Anderson at Detachment #1.
1 October 1959 to 31 December 1959
Communications equipment identified as follows: BC-639 Single Channel VHF Transmitter (1ea), and BC-640 Single Channel Transmitter, (1ea)
1 January 1960 to 31 March 1960
On 1 January the water supply line at Detachment 1, Cut Throat, froze due to failure of the line heating system. After receiving assistance from 64th Air Division Mobile Maintenance team, the line was back in service on 15 January.
1 July 1960 to 30 September 1960
Captain Donald H Stensrud relieved Captain Donald H Wimberly who had spent 60 days TDY in relief of Captain Richard L Anderson at Detachment #1.
1 October 1960 to 31 December 1960
Teletype maintenance personnel from the 922nd AC&W Squadron at Cartwright made a trip to our Detachment to repair the teletype machines in use at this station and to give instructions on the teletype machines. A local modification by the Philco Technician and a Radar Maintenance man at the 922nd AC&W Squadron at Cartwright, eliminated an inherent internal interference which was quite disturbing when high voltage was being applied during maintenance on the 0A-99 PPI scope. The modification was submitted to Philco Canada and reproduced for use at other Gap Filler stations. Out at Detachment # 1, the shortage of one radar operator has been a continuous problem. When only five men are authorized, a shortage of one man continuously is critical. Particularly when the men are A/2C and subject to various details. The home squadron knows of this problem had they have sent a fifth man PCS to the Detachment.
1 April 1961 to 30 June 1961
Word was officially received to discontinue operations at Cutthroat Island Gap Filler, as of 28 June 1961.
1 July 1961 to 30 September 1961
After 1 August, the only means of contact with this Detachment was HF Radio. Approximately 200 messages were received from and sent to the 922nd AC&W Squadron at Cartwright monthly.
We are aware that the Detachment #1 Gap Filler Site at Cut Throat Island was only operational between 1957 and 1961. It is unfortunate that we do not have very many quarterly Historical Records for Cartwright during this four year period. It is, however, somewhat unlikely that there would be a great deal of additional detail pertaining to the Gap Filler Detachment in the missing Cartwright Historical Records.
The only recurring detail which was found in all appropriate Historical Records for Cartwright was found in Section 7, as follows:
AN/FPS-14 Search Radar (3 ea)