The following extracts taken from early Victoria, British Columbia (BC) newspapers are credited to Leona Taylor for her excellent work in indexing the papers. Full information can be found here: “Index of Historical Victoria Newspapers“, 2007-09.
“The party who went to Alberni to survey a lighthouse land reserve have returned. (but which lighthouse? – ed.)They report about 170 Chinese miners at work, only 40 of whom pay the Government tax. [Colonist, 1878-07-19]
Died at Esquimalt, British Columbia, Aug 5, 1879, William Henry Bevis, aged 49, Native of Birkenhead, England, 3rd Son of late Captain Thomas Bevis, RN. Funeral will take place from Fisgard Lighthouse and from the Royal naval cemetery. Keeper of Fisgard lighthouse, deceased came to British Columbia in 1858, previous to which year he was employed in the capacity of purser on steamers running between Panama, Lima and Callao. Shortly after his arrival here he received an appointment in the Revenue Department and was stationed at Langley. In 1860 he accepted a position in the Police Force of this city, but the performance of his duties in this office was of brief duration, as in 1861, when the Fisgard light was first exhibited, he was appointed keeper, a position which he held until the hour of his death. His father was a commander in the English navy. A-Row-12-P-0057 [Colonist, 1879-07-26*]”
“Tender call, Wm. Smith, Deputy Minister of Marine &c., for Fraser River Lighthouse (Sandheads – ed.) [Colonist, 1881-02-16, p. 2]”
“PLUMPER PASS tenders invited for erection of wooden lighthouse (Discovery Island lighthouse – ed.) [Colonist, 1884-03-28, p. 3]”
“Tugboat Pilot with Captain Revely returned to Victoria, British Columbia, having been unable to discover anything of the lighthouse keepers, and the conclusion came to is that he, with his brother and a half-breed, have been drowned. The keeper’s name was H C Fraser, native of Pictou, Nova Scotia, aged 30, unmarried. Half-breed was Frederick Williams, aged c 19, of Metchosin. The pilot brought down the effects of the late keepers. two new keepers have been placed in the lighthouse, which will now beam as usual. The light is situated about five miles from shore where the shallowness of the water renders it very rough in stormy weather. (but which lighthouse? – ed.) [Colonist, 1884-10-17, p.3]”